Tuesday, July 22, 2008

Second Meeting with Dr. Mathern

July 22, 2008

Today was our meeting with neurosurgeon, Gary Mathern, neurologist, Raman Sankar and epilepsy nurse specialist, Sue Yudovin at UCLA. Jason and my mom both took the day off from work to accompany me and Aiden.

The purpose of this meeting was to clarify why some team members felt Aiden should try more drugs before surgery should be considered and why some felt surgery was urgent.
After quite a long discussion, it was obvious that although surgery is an aggressive approach, it is the best decision for Aiden. After Dr. Mathern left the room, Dr. Sankar told us that if his child ever needed brain surgery, he'd want Dr. Mathern to do it. I've heard numerous people say that he is the BEST.

Dr. Anne Comi in Baltimore is still in the process of reviewing Aiden's records and tests. At this point, I'm just waiting for her opinion before I call to set a date for surgery.

Tomorrow, I'm taking Aiden to the lab to find out his blood type because he will need family and friends to donate four to five units of blood once a date is set for surgery.

No comments: