Sunday, August 24, 2008

Post Op - Fourth Day

August 24, 2008

Aiden's dad, Brian, left early this morning to head back to Indiana. He was very sad to leave Aiden. Grandpa Ray came in today from Virginia to be with us and help out at the hospital.

The swelling in Aiden's head has gone down and he looks like he normally does, minus the bandage around his head. We are still in ICU because the fluid that is draining from Aiden's head is still red and needs to run clear before they can do a test clamp on the drain. They do a test clamp to make sure Aiden's remaining left hemisphere can absorb the brain fluid properly. Once that is established, they will decide to either leave the drain in longer or take it out. Once the drain is removed, then the bandage can be removed and then we would soon be moved to a less critical room. I'm not sure how long it will take for the fluid to run clear but they estimate a few more days.

Aiden was in quite a bit more discomfort today but he is eating and drinking well and his "pipes" are working. No infections or fevers, although we were told he'd get a fever around day 6. That is typical. All of his labs come back normal everyday, so that is great news. We are just taking our time and making sure Aiden heals properly. Everyone here at UCLA is taking such good care of him.

1 comment:

Mary said...

Wow! We are in the process of trying to decide if a Hemi is right for our son 21months old. Best of luck! thanks for sharing your experience.